The Security forces:
- Killed 6,710 communist terrorists (CTs)
- Captured 1,287 CTs
- Took the surrender of 3,202 CTs
- Killed 1,345 Malayan troops and police
- Killed 519 British and Commonwealth military personnel
- Killed 2,478 civilians, with another 810 recorded as missing
In 1962 British and Commonwealth troops were back at war in the region, this time with Indonesia. This war was called 'Confrontation' or the 'Indonesian–Malaysian Confrontation' and it lasted from 1962-1966. The confrontation was an undeclared war with most of the action in the border area between Indonesia and East Malaysia on the island of Borneo (known as Kalimantan in Indonesia). The Indonesians were opposed to plans to merge Sabah and Sarawak (British Borneo) into the new Malaysia. They failed, and British Borneo became East Malaysia in 1963, with the Malayan Federation becoming West Malaysia. But that is another story.......